Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thoughts and Prayers...

I still cannot fathom the devastation in Newtown, Connecticut. It is such a tragedy that hits really close to home. I never thought someone would attack innocent children at an elementary school.

It's incredible how caught up I have been with complaining about all the little things at work. Grades, restless kids, meetings, parent conferences... Honestly, just burned out and ready for a break.

The tragic sequence of events on Friday really put some things in perspective.

I became a teacher because I am passionate about teaching and nurturing young children. There is nothing in the world that I would rather do. I also know that when I became a teacher, I agreed not only to teach curriculum but to also fill the roles that my students need. I am not just a teacher; I am a role model, care giver, confidant, and protector. For some kids I am part of the only stable thing in their life because school is the only place where they feel safe.

The students at Sandy Hook had their safe place taken away on Friday. My heart goes out to the victims and survivors of this tragedy. The staff was so heroic and did their job as I know any teacher would have. It is just so heartbreaking that this happened. I pray for the survivors as they deal with this... I can't even think about how hard it will be for the teachers to go back to work, parents to send their kids to school, and for those kids to be able to function in the school setting again.

I feel very blessed to be at a school where I feel safe and supported. I know that my coworkers and I would do whatever is necessary to protect our children. I cherish this job and care so deeply for my students. I am so thankful that all I have to worry about is grading papers and keeping the kids from driving me crazy before Thursday.

Final thoughts..
Hold your kids close. Pray for those who can't anymore. Don't get caught up in the negativity. Cherish every moment. Be thankful. Offer love and support. Happy holidays.


1 comment:

  1. What happened in CT is beyond dreadful - It's hard to believe someone is capable of this. Your kids are so lucky to have you. You do such an amazing job of motivating, inspiring, and nurturing them.

    ReplyDelete