Friday, August 1, 2014

Mmmmm Pineapples!

So we just got back from our family vacation to Hawaii and I am already missing some of the amazing food we had there. I have always loved pineapples but we had a couple of awesome treats that I wish we had here in Texas! *The Dole Whip pineapple ice cream was incredible! Sadly I can't recreate that. :(
 



I decided to try to make a pineapple pie. It will probably never be as good as Ted's Bakery at North Shore, Oahu, but I am making it my new baking mission. :) Tonight was my first attempt at making a pie, ever actually. I used pre-made pie crust dough and just cut it into a lattice pattern. Once I get the filling the way I want it, I'll attempt to make homemade dough. Baby steps! 

This time, I used a can of Dole crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice. Next time, I may try the crushed pineapple in heavy syrup... I'm hoping it will be a little sweeter. 

Filling Ingredients: 

1 can of crushed pineapple
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar 
Pinch of salt

Combine in a saucepan, slowly bring to a boil and stir continuously until ingredients thicken and they look more clear than cloudy.

Put pie crust into an ungreased 9 inch pie pan and smooth to fit. Put in the pie filling and then cover with second pie crust. I cut it with a pizza roller and placed strips in a lattice pattern over the top. 

Bake in a preheated oven (375*) for about 45 minutes and voila! 


Finished product! :) It was tart but had a good flavor. I'm going to attempt to make it sweeter next time.  I also really need to build up the courage to make my own dough because I would like for it to be a little more flavorful. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :) 

In the meantime, I think my next baking project will be pineapple muffins! Another product of Ted's Bakery along with some Kona coffee. Yummmm! I miss Hawaii already. 

Aloha :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment