Thursday, January 24, 2013

Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sorry for the late post but I had a conversation with my kiddos on Tuesday about the events of Monday. It was such a great moment to get to talk about Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy and President Obama's inauguration. We watched a video about MLK's life and then had a discussion about why he was important to the civil rights movement. We then tied it into today where we discussed how we can all go to school together and we have the same opportunities. We also discussed their future and I mentioned that now we are working towards men and women getting paid the same amount for doing the same jobs and that we want everyone to be treated equally regardless of skin color, hair color, background, clothing, personal life choices, etc. It was really cool to have such a real conversation with 7 and 8 year olds. This is our future generation! :)

We also made a little foldable that I saw on pinterest. Here is my spin on it and some student examples. Spelling mistakes and all, these are adorable!

My example













No comments:

Post a Comment