Sunday, September 30, 2012

Daily 5 Update!



We just finished the 5th week of school and I have successfully implemented Read to Self, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading, and Read to Someone. I am so relieved that my kids are excited about building stamina and know the purpose of each Daily 5 activity. In the book, it always mentions that the purpose of Daily 5 is for students to become better readers. I kept having to remind my kids of that last year and I felt that it wasn't as present in their minds as I wanted. This year during our class Daily 5 meeting for Read to Someone, one of my students reminded the class that this is "for us to work together and help each other become better readers". It was such a sweet moment and I hope that it really sets the tone for our little learning community this year.

My kids are almost to 15 minutes of stamina in Read to Self. I make them work to reach a certain number of minutes three times before I fill in the stamina chart. That way they are working on consistently building stamina. It has definitely made them more aware of their purpose and they know what they need to work on each time we practice read to self as a class.


This past week, I finally introduced Listen to Reading with the computers and books on tape station. We received two companion computers in second grade to go with our two desktop computers. I am THRILLED. I love technology and I have really needed some more computers for the kiddos to get their hands on.

Tomorrow I am introducing Word Work. Wish me luck! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment